Saturday, September 26, 2020

Brown Girl Dreaming by Jacqueline Woodson

 Brown Girl Dreaming 

by Jacqueline Woodson



Author Information:



Jacqueline Woodson's memoir BROWN GIRL DREAMING won the 2014 National Book Award and was a NY Times Bestseller. Her novel, ANOTHER BROOKLYN, was a National Book Award finalist and an Indie Pick in 2016. Among her many awards, she the recipient of the Kurt Vonnegut Award, four Newbery Honors, two Coretta Scott King Award, and the Langston Hughes Medal. Jacqueline is the author of nearly thirty books for young people and adults including EACH KINDNESS, IF YOU COME SOFTLY, LOCOMOTION and I HADN'T MEANT TO TELL YOU THIS. She served as Young People's Poet Laureate from 2014-2016, was a fellow at The American Library in Paris, occasionally writes for the New York Times, is currently working on more books and like so many writers - lives with her family in Brooklyn, New York.

Why the author wrote this book?

"I wanted to understand who my mom was before she was my mother and I wanted to understand exactly how I became a writer. So I started researching my life, asking relatives and talking to friends – and mostly, just letting myself remember."




Book Summary:
Brown Girl Dreaming tells the story of my childhood, in verse. Raised in South Carolina and New York, I always felt halfway home in each place. In these poems, I share what it was like to grow up as an African American in the 1960s and 1970s, living with the remnants of Jim Crow and my growing awareness of the Civil Rights movement.


Short Review:

* “The writer’s passion for stories and storytelling permeates the memoir, explicitly addressed in her early attempts to write books and implicitly conveyed through her sharp images and poignant observations seen through the eyes of a child. Woodson’s ability to listen and glean meaning from what she hears lead to an astute understanding of her surroundings, friends, and family.” — Publishers Weekly, STARRED REVIEW


Sources:
https://www.jacquelinewoodson.com/brown-girl-dreaming/
https://www.amazon.com/Brown-Girl-Dreaming-Jacqueline-Woodson/dp/0147515823


No comments:

Post a Comment

Zelda and Ivy: The Runaways by Laura McGee Kvasnosky

   10 books from the Geisel Award or Honor winning books 10.  2007 Medal winner   Zelda and Ivy: The Runaways   by Laura McGee Kvasnosky  Ab...